Ravenna, Italy: Piazza del Popolo 2

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Authors
Sheppard, Beth M.
Issue Date
5/21/2017
Type
Image
Language
Keywords
Italy , Ravenna , Piazza del Popolo, Ravenna , Palazzo Merlato , Palazzo Comunale , Column of Saint Apollinaris , Column of San Vitale , Saint Mark , San Vitale , Urban Squares , Plazas , Battistero Degli Ariani
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Journal Issue
Alternative Title
Abstract
Description
Central view of the Palazzo Merlato (or Palazzo Comunale) on the Piazza del Popolo in Ravenna, Italy. Also shown are the two granite columns that were built to delineate the square's border. The column on the left is topped by a statue of Saint Apollinaris, who is the patron saint of Ravenna. The right column had the Lion of Saint Mark at the top when it was erected in 1483, but was substituted by the Patron Saint and a statue of San Vitale after 1509. The Piazza del Popolo, a central gathering place for the people of Ravenna, is at the convergence of many central streets and features open-air cafes. It dates back to the second half of the 13th century. The Battistero degli Ariani is just steps away from the plaza.
Citation
Publisher
License
CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Journal
Volume
Issue
PubMed ID
DOI
ISSN
EISSN