Ravenna, Italy: Mausoleum of Galla Placidia: Entrance

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Authors
Sheppard, Beth M.
Issue Date
5/22/2017
Type
Image
Language
Keywords
Italy , Ravenna , Mausoleo di Galla Placidia , Galla Placidia Mausoleum , Mausoleum of Galla Placidia , Chapels , Cruciform Floor Plans , Mosaics , Byzantine Art
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Journal Issue
Alternative Title
Abstract
Description
The entrance to the Mausoleo di Galla Placidia (Galla Placidia Mausoleum; Mausoleum of Galla Placidia) in Ravenna, Italy, as seen from the exterior. The Mausoleum is one of two symmetrical brick chapels that were originally built on the ends of the 5th century Church of Santa Croce at the behest of the Theodosian Empress Galla Placidia, but it is the only one that remains today after its separation from the church in 1602. Santa Croce is reputed to have been Galla Placidia's favorite church. Galla Placidia was the daughter of Theodosius the Great. She was regent ruler in place of her son (Valentian III), who had been entrusted with the government of the Western Roman Empire. The empress visited the chapel at night and prayed on the porphyry (a rare, purple-red stone) floor by candlelight. Despite its name, this UNESCO World Heritage Site does not contain the remains of Galla Placidia, who was buried in Rome. The chapel has a cruciform floor plan and the interior is covered in rich mosaics.
Citation
Publisher
License
CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Journal
Volume
Issue
PubMed ID
DOI
ISSN
EISSN