Ravenna, Italy: Basilica of San Francesco and Bell Tower

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Authors
Issue Date
5/22/2017
Type
Image
Language
Keywords
Italy , Ravenna , Basilica of San Francesco , Basilica of St. Francis, Ravenna , Bell Towers , Piazzas , Saint Francis of Assisi , Dante Alighieri
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Journal Issue
Alternative Title
Abstract
Description
The Piazza San Francesco in front of the Basilica and Bell Tower of San Francesco. The Basilica of San Francesco is a major church in Ravenna, Italy. The original building was constructed in 450 by a bishop of Ravenna and dedicated to the saints Peter and Paul. It became known later as the Church of the Apostles, but it was demolished by the end of the 10th century and a larger church and bell tower were built. They were dedicated to Saint Peter. When the church became the property of the Franciscans in 1261, it was rededicated to Francis of Assisi. The church is famous as the site of Dante Alighieri's funeral in 1321 and his remains are next door in the Tomb of Dante.
Citation
Publisher
License
Journal
Volume
Issue
PubMed ID
DOI
ISSN
EISSN